The Bitcoin Education Project (BEP) was founded by Charles Hoskinson in 2013 to resolve two problems in the Bitcoin ecosystem. First, to reduce the knowledge barriers to entry for everyday people to enter the Bitcoin world. And second, to make Bitcoin more relatable to mainstream activities.
Since its inception, BEP has grown to many contributors and partners including Udemy, Bitcoin Magazine, Let’s Talk Bitcoin and numerous veterans of the Bitcoin community. We are united by our desire to expand the community to the world and by our passion for benefits Bitcoin brings to commerce.
All projects request a set of core values that unite the collaborators. The Bitcoin Education Project is no different. We believe in the following six tenets:
Our goal is to educate the mainstream about Bitcoin. In this process, we have a duty to ensure the information we have presented is done so in an objective manner. We cannot allow a passion for the future of money to eschew existing problems with the Bitcoin infrastructure. All content produced must be held to a fair and balanced standard.
The Bitcoin Education Project will always make every attempt to discuss its finances, partnerships, contributors and agreements with any entity that is interested. Our content generation and vetting process, long term goals and also marketing collaborations shall also be freely discussed. There are no closed doors at BEP.
Errors are a reality of anyone seeking the production and distribution of knowledge. We will never accept that our work is perfect nor accept misinformation as a result of a mistake or malice. Whenever we encounter inaccurate information regarding Bitcoin, its ecosystem and history, we will make every attempt to correct it regardless of origin.
Everything we produce is connected to an author. Authors cannot be anonymous and are held to our content standards. We are accountable for the materials we distribute.
Academic merit means nothing in the world of Bitcoin. This ecosystem was first conceived by an entity impossible to credential. Therefore, we welcome everyone in the community to contribute to our project regardless of education, geography, philosophy or vocation. All contributors are held to the same standards and are given the same opportunities to educate the world.
A simple rule for everyone to follow. Just don’t lie. It is amazing that this value has to be explicitly stated, yet necessary. All associates of BEP are expected to be honest in their affiliation with the project.
The Bitcoin Education Project has three goals:
Goal 1: To Eliminate Misinformation about Bitcoin
We all have heard the words ponzi scheme, bitcoin hacked, anonymous currency used to buy XYZ. Such statements are partly due to the complexity and experimental nature of Bitcoin and partly due to misinformation from media sources and peers. One of our goals is to eliminate or at least greatly reduce misinformation whenever it occurs through the distribution of creative commons content.
Goal 2: Content Generation
The Bitcoin Education Project seeks to become an engine to generate and vet content made by members of the Bitcoin community. Our goal is to find people with amazing knowledge, skills and raw talent and help them share it with the world so we can improve our community. Great ideas always seek to lift everyone up regardless of where they start.
Goal 3: One Million People New Users
The more people in the ecosystem; the more Bitcoin is worth. Everyone who uses Bitcoins has an incentive to bring people into our community. BEP seeks to do this by removing the knowledge barriers to entry and making people interested in Bitcoin. Our partnership with Udemy allows us to distribute a free course that is ever evolve, but over time we’d like to broaden our initiative to include different approaches to integration and evangelismHelp Us Educate One Million New Bitcoin Users Volunteer or Donate Today!
- Help Fund the Bitcoin Education Project
- Volunteer at BEP
- Provide Feedback and Ideas
- Become a Partner
- The Bitcoin History Preservation Project
The Bitcoin Education Project (BEP) is a not for profit collaboration that requires the time, hard work and financial support of the Bitcoin community to survive. We accept donations directly via Bitcoin (Address: 189tfJJhCJFtkr4MZJgcB3yuGTfUh7cvUL) and have a Redonate campaign (link).
Over time we will develop value added content to supplement BEP’s income; however, the primary course (Bitcoin or How I Learned to Stop Worrying) will always be free for both business and personal use. We will also pursue a kickstarter campaign after certain benchmarks have been achieved
How Funds are Used
All funds donated to the project will be used in one or more of the following ways:
- Generating Video, Audio and Written Content
- Marketing Content and Events Compatible with BEP’s Mission, Values and Goals
- Paying Designers to Generate Artwork, Logos, Badges and Other Branding Material for BEP and its Campaigns
- Funding Projects in the Bitcoin Community Compatible with BEPs Mission, Values and Goals
- Funding Initiatives Designed to Broaden Bitcoin’s Adoption in the Academic and Business Domains
- Funding Grants for Peer Reviewed Research Related to Bitcoin and its Ecosystem
Who Can Help?
Do you want to share your knowledge, unique experiences or Bitcoin related project to the Bitcoin community? The Bitcoin Education Project (BEP) can help you broadcast it all to a passionate and engaged audience. We are looking for artists, technologists, economists, entrepreneurs, academics, social innovators and developers to record lectures, write articles, evangelize their local communities and conduct peer reviewed research on Bitcoin.
How to Apply
The core goal of BEP is to be as inclusive as possible therefore we accept all contributions in line with our Mission, Values and Goals. To apply send the following to HelpUs@btcedproject.org:
- Your name (You can use a pseudonym if you want to make an anonymous contribution)
- Your biography (If you use a pseudonym, then replace with skills alongside with years of experience)
- A headshot picture (if you want to be listed on the website as a contributor)
- Areas of interests
- Approximate time you can contribute per month to the project
- The content or service you want to contribute (Video or audio lectures, artwork/branding, written articles, research, fund-raising, etc)
Once you have sent an email, we will try to get back to you within 72 hours. Please send your query from an email that you tend to check often. Also we are able to skype thus feel free to include a skype ID if you enjoy video conferencing.
The Bitcoin Education Project exists due to the contributions of the community. Therefore, we have a duty to solicit both feedback and ideas from the community whenever possible.
If you have consumed any material produced by BEP, then please email us your impressions, thoughts and corrections at email@example.com. We always try to be as accurate and fair in our presentation as possible, but can make mistakes.
Do you have an idea for an initiative or project that would help us further or goals and mission? Have you created a better way to broadcast our content across the internet? Feel free to send any comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Bitcoin Education Project would love to partner with businesses in the Bitcoin community that are seeking both brand and visibility enhancement via association with our distribution channels. If your businesses practices and products are compatible with our mission, values and goals, then BEP would like to partner with you.
Benefits of Partnership
- Your organization will have an opportunity to teach the new generation of Bitcoin users how to properly use your products
- You’ll have a chance to collaborate with our networks and fellows for future business development
- You can use the BEP brand on your website and other promotional areas
- Partners will always be included in future initiatives and plans prior to public announcement
How to Become a Partner
- Send an email to email@example.com
- We’ll reply with a list of questions to determine eligibility
- If eligible, then we’ll email a partnership package alongside a cost list in Bitcoin for partnership
- If both parities agree to the terms and conditions, then you will receive a Bitcoin Education Project Partner seal alongside an email address YourCompanyName@btcedproject.org
Bitcoin was first introduced by the revolutionary whitepaper of Satoshi Nakamoto in 2009. Since that humble beginning, thousands of noteworthy events, scams, innovations, businesses and collaborations have occurred. These combine to a rich story that needs to be accurately recorded and made accessible to everyone.
This project has three goals:
- Provide a month by month peer-reviewed first and second-hand account of the major events in Bitcoin’s history
- Archive historically relevant communications between the first adopters of Bitcoin
- Release a free yearly publication entitled “This Year in Bitcoin” alongside an often updated wiki